Freshwater Aquarium/male guppies

I had 2 male and 3 female guppies in 1 tank for about 5 months now...I am tired of them having babies...I bought a new tank, and moved the 2 males in there.  They are fighting terrible, and one has his back fin all torn.  So I put 1 male back in the other tank.  I have about 3-4 male baby guppies I was planning on putting with these 2 males...What should I do?  my tanks are 26 gallon, new one is 30 gallon, and babies are currently in a 10 gallon.

Hi Cheryl

Male Guppies can be aggressive. The best way to keep them from fighting is to have a ratio of 1 male to 2 females. I know you're tired of them breeding and having babies, but keeping all males in a tank is asking for trouble.

If you want to keep all males in a tank, you can try a much larger tank (50g or larger) and provide plenty of plants and hiding spots. This way, when you spot trouble makers (there always seems to be one dominant one in the bunch) you have a couple of other choice for him. Make sure your male fry are large enough before putting them with the other males, or they may not survive.

Hope this helps you, good luck!

Freshwater Aquarium

Richard Hight

I own and maintain several freshwater aquariums from 2 to 180 gallon. I can answer most questions about freshwater aquariums, including setup, cycling, maintenance, compatible tank mates, feeding. Moving? I've moved fish both across town and across the country and can help you get your little aquatic friends to their new home safely. I know and have experience with most freshwater community fish, South American Cichlids and African Cichlids. I don't answer questions about Goldfish or keeping Goldfish with Tropical Fish. I also don't answer questions about keeping crustaceans (shrimp, snails, crabs etc) with Tropical Fish, nor questions about saltwater fish or aquariums. I'm not available to answer questions on weekends, this is when I do maintenance on my own tanks.

Many years of personal experience with community tank fish, semi-aggressive fish (Barbs, Tetras, etc), Angels, South American Cichlids and African Cichlids.

HSG 2010-2011 prof