Freshwater Aquarium/Blue Gourami

Question
I have a blue gourami and it changed colors over night. Now the front half is the normal color and the back half is black. I'm not sure if its from stress or what. Anything you can tell me will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Answer
Hi Travis

It is normal for most tropical fish to change colors with their mood. Usually, when stressed or under certain light, their colors will fade. When content, in darker surroundings, or a perfect light, they will show intense color. This is one of the first signs to most aquarists that there is a problem in the tank or when all is right with the tank.  There is also a noticeable change in color as juveniles mature, especially males. Make sure your water is clean, but it sounds like he is just fine.

Hope this helps you, good luck!

Richard

Freshwater Aquarium

Richard Hight