Freshwater Aquarium/Fumigation

Hi, we need to have our house fumigated and we have 90 gallon tank. Of course moving the fish out is best, but not really an option. I've read posts where people have used heavy plastic to seal the tank with success.
What are your thoughts on this Matter?
Thank you

Hi Robyn

I've also set off foggers in my house. I covered the tanks with plastic sheets and turned off the filters and air pumps, and the fish were fine. There is no need to completely seal the tank, simply covering it will be fine. After your house is fumigated, open the windows after 2-3 hours, then in about 30 minutes you should be able to turn the tank back on.

Hope this helps you, good luck!

Freshwater Aquarium

Richard Hight

I own and maintain several freshwater aquariums from 2 to 180 gallon. I can answer most questions about freshwater aquariums, including setup, cycling, maintenance, compatible tank mates, feeding. Moving? I've moved fish both across town and across the country and can help you get your little aquatic friends to their new home safely. I know and have experience with most freshwater community fish, South American Cichlids and African Cichlids. I don't answer questions about Goldfish or keeping Goldfish with Tropical Fish. I also don't answer questions about keeping crustaceans (shrimp, snails, crabs etc) with Tropical Fish, nor questions about saltwater fish or aquariums. I'm not available to answer questions on weekends, this is when I do maintenance on my own tanks.

Many years of personal experience with community tank fish, semi-aggressive fish (Barbs, Tetras, etc), Angels, South American Cichlids and African Cichlids.

HSG 2010-2011 prof