Functional Medicine/Strange Case of Low Iron

Question
Hi Kalli,

I have a very interesting case that I can't figure out what's happening.

I have a client who had low iron in January (I don't know her iron status before that). So she started taking iron supplementation, and when she was re-tested in June, her iron was actually even lower. So her doctor prescribed her an even higher dose of iron. So she had her iron levels re-tested last week, and her iron levels were even lower than before.

Any clue as to what's happening here?

Answer
Iron doesn't work by itself and there could be a few issues. 1- if the patient is on PPI drugs it inhibits the breakdown and absorption of iron. Iron also needs b12 and folic acid to be utilized in the body as well, a lot of iron deficiency is actually b12/folic acid deficiency issues. Plus prescription iron is typically very poorly absorbed so they give very high doses. I like the Vitanica brand Iron Conplete which has all the proper cofactors for good absorption and herbs to combat constipation.

Hopefully this provides some insight

Dr. Kalli Prater, D. C.  

Functional Medicine

Dr. Kalli Prater