Fundraising, Management Issues/NPO's important to the economy?

Why are non-profits important in this economy?

The nonprofit sector of the US economy (including volunteerism) has been a part of our nation since its inception.  Here are three reasons why this sector is important to the US economy:
1. Nonprofit organizations comprise about 10% of the US economy - both in monetary terms and in employment.  
2. There are many services that are not available to the poorest segments of our society which the government does not provide - but nonprofits do.  
3. The fabric of our society (locally and nationally) is strengthened by US citizens' willingness and ability to create and support other people and causes here in the US and abroad.

Fundraising, Management Issues

Alyson Ball

Please send questions about nonprofit boards, nonprofit board committees, the relationship between board and staff, board governance, board roles and responsibilities, board recruitment, board orientations, board meeting and board retreats.

After a career in the private sector, I moved into the nonprofit sector and have been consulting, teaching and writing about nonprofit boards for the last five years. I teach at the University of Virginia School of Continuing and Professional Studies. I present and facilitate workshops to nonprofit members of associations and chambers of commerce.

The Center for Nonprofit Excellence, VANNO (Virginia Network of Nonprofit Organizations, WUP - Women United in Philanthropy

My articles appear in which are then picked up by state-specfic nonprofit support groups and others associations and organizations throughout the United States and internationally.

Certificate of Nonprofit Management - Duke University, Master of Business Administration - The Wharton School, U. of Pennsylvania, Bachelor of Arts - Cornell University

Selected as a guest speak in The Center for Nonprofit Excellence's Board Development Academy.

Past clients include Service Dogs of Virginia, the Ixtatan Foundation, Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic, African-American Teaching Fellows, and the Brockbank Education Fund.