Fundraising, Management Issues/fundraising

Question
My daughter and her friends have started a cheer team where they will compete a few times a year. We would like to do fundraising to cover some of the costs but we are not a non-profit organization and we are a new organization and have no money to become a non-profit at this time. Can we do fundraising without becoming non-profit?

Answer
Hi Doreen,

Thanks for your question. Yes, you can do fundraising without becoming a non-profit, but donors' gifts will not be tax-deductible for them. If that is important to you and/or them, you *can* become a fiscally-sponsored organization of a non-profit. Your fiscal sponsor will accept donations on your behalf, which will be tax-deductible, and they will pass the funds on to you. Organizations that do this will take a fee usually 5-10% of the donation. You can contact your local community foundation to find out if they do this. If they do not, they should be able to refer you to an organization that does.

Good luck!
Barbara

Fundraising, Management Issues

Barbara Bellissimo