Fundraising, Management Issues/Listing Donors on Website

Question
I am a board member of Loaves and Fishes 501C non-profit food pantry in Beaufort NC.  We have a new website.  

To list Donors (individuals and companies) on the Donor page do we need verbal or written permission?

Answer
Thanks for your question, Saundra.

I have not seen donors' names published on websites of non-profit organizations. They may be there, but I have not seen them. Usually, too wide an audience is reached online, compared with printed reports.

It is appropriate for nonprofits to publish a printed annual report, which tells how donor's contributions have been used and lists the names of donors. In a printed report, securing permission is not required and would be time-consuming and expensive.

You might check with similar organizations to learn when they do.

Best wishes with your new website.

Fundraising, Management Issues

Wayne E. Groner