Fundraising, Management Issues/Youth Professional Board.

Hi there Alyson!

I am curious, I have been selected to be on the youth professional board of an organization that helps children with disabilities that is associated with a famous hospital. I am honored to be voted to be part of the board. I am just wondering what are the benefits? Is it good for your resume? Do companies see this as a great thing when interviewing a candidate for a position?
So the Youth Professional Board get together on private events? I am just wondering...I know Alexis will tell me more about it later on when we have our next meeting. :)
Is it competitive to be voted to be part of a board?

Congratulations, Alison.
Being on a board is a vote of confidence about your abilities to contribute to this non-profit - and your potential as a leader.  Because you will be making decisions with others from various backgrounds - being a board member will provide you with leadership experiences that others your age will not have had.  So, yes, this is a positive for you.
I'd include this item in your resume under "Leadership Experiences" or "Community Activities"
or "Personal".  Something like "Selected to be a Board Member on the Youth Professional Board of xxx (name of the organization).  Served on the xyz Committee.  June, 2014 to Present"  
Some boards meet monthly, others bi-monthly, and some quarterly - so it's not clear how often
your board will meet.  Perhaps there is an orientation you will attend to inform you of your responsibilities and/or the requirements of being on a board.
I'd look for specific ways to use whatever skills and interests you have - and apply them to the work that is needed on this board for this organization.
I hope you enjoy your time on this board - and hopefully, you can contribute to other organizations by being on other boards in the future.
I hope this helps.

Fundraising, Management Issues

Alyson Ball

Please send questions about nonprofit boards, nonprofit board committees, the relationship between board and staff, board governance, board roles and responsibilities, board recruitment, board orientations, board meeting and board retreats.

After a career in the private sector, I moved into the nonprofit sector and have been consulting, teaching and writing about nonprofit boards for the last five years. I teach at the University of Virginia School of Continuing and Professional Studies. I present and facilitate workshops to nonprofit members of associations and chambers of commerce.

The Center for Nonprofit Excellence, VANNO (Virginia Network of Nonprofit Organizations, WUP - Women United in Philanthropy

My articles appear in which are then picked up by state-specfic nonprofit support groups and others associations and organizations throughout the United States and internationally.

Certificate of Nonprofit Management - Duke University, Master of Business Administration - The Wharton School, U. of Pennsylvania, Bachelor of Arts - Cornell University

Selected as a guest speak in The Center for Nonprofit Excellence's Board Development Academy.

Past clients include Service Dogs of Virginia, the Ixtatan Foundation, Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic, African-American Teaching Fellows, and the Brockbank Education Fund.