Funerals/scattering ashes in Gulf of Mexico off Florida or Alabama beach or waters

keylargo52 wrote at 2010-04-17 15:35:17
Ashes are supposed to be scattered 3 miles offshore pursuant to the code of federal regulations. On land, they can be scattered on any private property. I would check with a regular scattering service or captain, such as funeralatsea.  Good luck.

ken wrote at 2010-09-27 12:25:27
I found an aluminum water bottle on the beach with human ashes in it.  Apparently the person/persons had thrown this bottle in the ocean along the Grand Strand of SC, not realizing that it would probably wash up on the beach.  Handwritten notes were rolled up, tied with pieces of yarn, and inserted in the bottle along with the ashes. Not realizing that it was human ashes at first, I opened the bottle and poured out some of the contents so I could get one of the rolled pieces of paper out.  Wow, was I supprised to discover what I had actually uncorked! Now, what do I do with it.  I don't feel right throwing it back out to sea, not knowing where it will end up, and not decompose.

I will probably end up turning it over to the beach patrol to deal with.  Therefore, I would suggest using a biodegradable bottle or brown paper bag 3 miles off shore, or just scatter the ashes directly on the water.

betty wrote at 2012-05-03 18:27:04
Can you please provide me some scattering services in the Mobile, Al area?

Capt. Anita wrote at 2013-01-30 19:21:12
I'm a boat captain and do scattering of ashes out into the Gulf from Tarpon Springs Fl. Contact me to arrange if interested

Kellie Gillespie

I can answer any questions regarding funeral planning, grief, alternatives to burial, embalming, natural burial, products and ideas how to make a funeral service or memorial service more meaningful and personal. I can't answer questions regarding legal issues, financial planning and what happens after we die.

I am a licensed Funeral Director in the state of California with 10 years experience.

B.A. from the University of Colorado AA from the San Francisco College of Mortuary Science, now part of the Sacramento Community College program