Funerals/Memorial Marker without Burying Cremains?

Question
My parents own their cemetery lots in Ohio, but wish to be cremated. The cost for vaults, open/close, etc. is horribly high even for cremains, so they have alternate plans for their ashes to be spread in a location special to them.  Can a marker be placed on the lot without actually buring their cremains? My Dad is a veteran and will be provided a bronze plaque by the government. We planned to get my Mom a matching plaque on a granite slab and put it on one lot.  Per the memorial garden where the lots are located, we can use a single lot and put a double marker vertically.

Answer
It sounds to me as if they/you may be dealing with a for-profit cemetery if a vault is being required for cremated remains and the O/C charges are high. Unfortunately, I can't answer the question about the marker. Each cemetery is allowed to make up their own rules and regulations, so I would have no way of knowing.

There are veterans cemeteries in Dayton and Rittman. Are they/you anywhere near either one? That would reduce costs, and your parents might be able to sell the other lots or donate them to a church and take a tax deduction.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson