Funerals/Moving father

My dad was buried on my sisters land and is the only grave there. She will not let an of the family on the land to visit or decorate including her mother. My mom isdieing of cancer and does not want to be buried there. She wants to be buried in a local cemetery and her husband moved there. We went to the funeral home and had the papers filled out and sent to Frankfort and had it approved but her daughter that owns the land told the funeral home she did not want him moved and filed a complaint stopping it. My mom wants him moved and we dont know how much longer she has. What can we do? The rest of the family wants him moved, she is the only one stoping it. Located in ky..

To the best of my knowledge (Without knowing the laws of KY regarding this situation). Your Mom is the legal next of kin of your Father, she can direct where his body is buried and if she can authorize that it be moved to another cemetery. My best advise would be to contact the Kentucky Board of Embalmers & Funeral Directors  and ask them about any laws concerning this. Also, this is probably a situation where an attorney should be contacted, as this is a civil matter and a judge may need to issue a court order to your sister to allow access to her property so your fathers body may be disinterred and moved to the cemetery.

I hope this helps,

Erin Phelps  

Erin Phelps

I can answer any questions about funerals,embalming, cremation, green burial, home funerals, burial on your own land, scattering of cremated remains and any other death related questions you may have.

I have worked in the death care industry since 1977, owning my own funeral home since 1990. I worked as an EMT at a funeral home based ambulance service for 6 years gain much experience there. When I opened my funeral home, my goal was to provide honest, straightforward, significant and affordable services to the families who called upon me for my services. Since Sept. 2008, I have served as a member of the Oregon State Mortuary & Cemetery Board, which regulates the operation of mortuarys and cemeteries in Oregon. I have been a regular attendee and speaker at various funeral related seminars over the years and am a frequent contributor to "Mortuary Management" magazine. I was one of the first funeral directors in Oregon to offer "Green" or "Natural" burial services and to offer assistance to families who wish to take care of their own family members at home. I also have vast experience in the repatriation of a deceased to their country of origin.

Oregon Funeral Directors Association, International Cemetery, Cremation & Funeral Association, Cremation Association of America, Funeral Ethics Association Natural End Funeral Services - Charter Member.

Mortuary Management Funeral Monitor Funeral Service Insider

Attended the University of Oregon Associates of Science Degree - Mt. Hood Community College, Gresham, Oregon

Top 10 Eye Enucleators in Oregon. Nationally Board Certified Funeral Director/Embalmer Honored in "Funeral Monitor", Aug. 2007 for my business practices.

Since 1990, I have served over 10,000 families, requesting the gamute of services ranging from the simplest to the most elaborate. Servicing christian, jewish, muslim, buddhist, hindu and humanists, along with families from every continent in the world.