Funerals/burial of 12-week old fetus

Question
My daughter (36) has suffered a miscarriage in the 12th week of pregnancy.  We are originally from Indiana - we now live in Georgia.

My parents are buried in Indiana and we were wondering what we would have to do to be able to bury the baby over my parents' graves.

Would we be able to transport the body to IN?   Does embalming have to occur?

Answer
Hello-

Please accept my condolences, this is a tough grief.  The best place to find your answers is the local funeral home, they can tell the local laws and regulations for transport and burial.  The cemetery in Indiana may have regulations regarding burial over a previous grave, this may include a cost of opening and closing the grave.  You need to ask them about their policies.  As for transport and embalming, that also depends on state regulations, some states allow it, some do not.  The funeral home should do this research for you.  If it were me, I would hire a transport service and not elect for embalming.   I commend you for asking questions and finding out the best way to memorialize.  

With care,  

Funerals

Kellie Gillespie