Funerals/Cremation in Maryland

Question
Could you explain what is required to cremate someone in the state of Maryland?  If the deceased has more than one child, do all children have to participate in making the cremation arrangements? What happens in families where all of the deceased's children are not in contact with one another?

Answer
If the death has not yet occurred, the person wishing to be cremated may name a designated agent for funeral planning in the Advance Directives of the Health Care Act. Without that, many funeral homes will not cremate without ALL children in agreement, which, needless to say, is a problem if they are not in contact. If there are absent children who have not maintained close contact with the deceased parent and/or siblings, I wouldn't tell the funeral home about their existence. Yes, it is a lie of omission, but you can get around that without actually lying about it if you word it carefully. In the worst case, you could go to the county Probate Court and ask to be assigned as the administrator of the estate and to handle funeral arrangements. You don't need a lawyer to go to Probate Court in most states. You may be able to do that entirely by letter.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson