Funerals/disinternment of mother

Question
QUESTION: I wish to disintern my mothers ashes in Washington state.  Yesterday I was told by the cemetary representative that it would cost $310. to open the niche and another $425. to remove the contents.  When questioned about the fees he said it was primarily for paper work.  I inquired about them reselling the niche-their price would be $1,720. of which I would receive half of once it sold.   He then asked if I would consider leaving 10% of my mothers remains in the niche then the $425. fee would not apply.  No other relatives other then myself are living.
Question: What would be the cemetaries motivation in keeping 10% in the niche as opposed to reselling. And, are the fees and methods proposed ethical and legal?

ANSWER: Sounds outrageous to me! Four screws hold the front plate of the niche on. Gimme a break. And the reselling price sounds like another rip-off. How much did it cost in the first place? All probably legal but certainly not ethical.

As for keeping 10%, they may be having trouble selling niches if their prices are really high.

What is your reason for wanting to move the ashes?

QUESTION: I don't know how much the niche cost in 1971 when she passed on.
I would like to acquire her ashes so that I can spread them through my life thus sharing with her in my mind.
Is there anything I can do about this situation?
Seems like all my encounter with funeral homes and cemeteries have had major cliches as the above.  I was once told that one had to purchase a casket in order to have a person cremated.

Thanks,  Christie

Answer
No they can't make you purchase a casket for cremation.

Ask for their price list to see if the prices quoted show up anywhere on that--opening the niche, removing contents, reselling. If not, then by all means accuse them of being illegal and unethical for making up prices to gouge the public. Tell them you'll file a complaint with the Funeral and Cemetery Board if they're not going to drop their prices to a more reasonable level for taking out four screws.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson