Funerals/FUNERAL

Question
MY DAD HAS BEEN IN A LONG CARE FACILITY FOR 5 YEARS.. HE JUST PASSED. I LIVE FAR FROM WHERE HE WAS. WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT? WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? FUNERAL, CREMATION HOW WHERE WHEN????
PLEASE HELP

Answer
Linn-

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I'm not sure what state he's in- but almost all the states require a licensed funeral director to handle the arrangements. If he's here in the New York area I would be glad to help you or at least try to recommend someone.

No matter where he is though you'll need to contact a funeral home. Many long care facilities don't have refrigeration- so they aren't equipped to hold him for a long period of time. The funeral home that you contact should be able to move him to their facilities. Once he's there then you would have to decide what type of services you'd like.

Generally speaking the least expensive option would be a direct cremation or a direct burial. This would mean that the funeral director would have the actual cremation or burial as soon as possible without any services. You could always opt for a memorial service after the fact it either one of these cases.

If you decide to have more traditional services such as visiting at the funeral home with a religious service it becomes more expensive simply because you are choosing options that require more time and merchandise.

I know this is alot for you to absorb because of the timing. If you need to contact me you could either send me a message through here or call me either on my cell (917# 757-1821 or at my funeral home #718# 828-1800. I have a meeting from about 10:30 to 11:30am #NY time) but I will be free the rest of the day if you have any questions.

Joe

Funerals

Joseph Lucchese