Funerals/Girlfriend had my husband cremated

Question
My husband recently passed away on Oct 30 of 2012 in Texas and I was not notified of this until 3 days later, when I found out I called the funeral home and told them who I was and that I was his wife his legal wife. His girlfriend told them that she was his common law wife and they took her word on it and cremated him and gave her the ashes. I proved that I was his wife and thast we were not divorced and she can not stand behind the common law marriage because of this. What are the statutes and what should have been the protocal of the funeral home?
Michelle

Answer
Michelle

To the best of my knowledge in every state a spouse has the primary right to direct the disposition of their spouses body. The exception to this could be if your husband had signed a cremation authorization for himself and directed that his girlfriend was to receive his cremated remains.

My best advise for you would be to contact the Texas Funeral Service Commission

http://www.tfsc.state.tx.us   and ask them about this situation.

I hope this helped,

Erin Phelps

Funerals

Erin Phelps