Funerals/moving my husband's remains.

Question
My husband passed suddenly in May-2012.  We were Tn Residents and I used a local funeral home for arrangements.  He was transported a short distance to Ky for burial.  My husband's parents provided a plot for his burial in their local cemetery. Now they have told me the other plot they own there will be used for his unmarried brother and I cant be buried there.  Can I have his body exhumed and cremated so that I can have his ashes buried elsewhere so we can rest beside each other when I die?

Answer
Absolutely. I have no idea who owns the cemetery, but if the cemetery gives you any trouble about doing a disinterment, the AG's office in KY regulates cemeteries and can usually be of help. You should, of course, let the parents know what your plans are. Sometimes a cemetery will say the permission of the lot-owner is required, so better to get their cooperation ahead of time if you can. If they don't cooperate, I think the AG's office can help, as a spouse always has primary rights if there is nothing contrary in writing from the deceased.

A permit for disinterment must come from the state registrar, but whichever funeral home you call to do the cremation can obtain that. It would be prudent to get prices from at least three.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson