Funerals/Next of kin

I am my dads next of kin he is dying now but we have no relationship and I do not wish to do anything at all for him after his death am I required legally o do anything or can I leave this to his now partner

Hi Sara,

You don't have to do anything and can leave it all to his partner. It would probably be a good idea to write a letter to the partner saying something along the lines that you are happy for her to deal with everything and have no wish to be involved.

Bryan Powell

I can answer questions relating to the law surrounding funerals, burial and cremation in the UK as well as the practical interpretation of the laws. I have in depth knowledge of the funeral profession in the UK, the products available and what is seen as acceptable and unacceptable. I am able to advise members of the public as well as trade enquiries from those within the profession and those looking to supply or become involved with the funeral industry.

I have 25 years experience in the UK funeral industry, as a practising funeral director, as a consultant to funeral homes and suppliers, as someone who has bought, owned and sold funeral homes as well as establishing new ones from scratch. I was the Founding Chairman of the Independent Funeral Directors College and have sat on the national executive of the Society of Allied and Independent Funeral Directors

British Institute of Funeral Directors, National Association of Funeral Directors, Society of Allied & Independent Funeral Directors

Funeral Service Journal and on my blog -

Diploma in Funeral Directing

Recommended by the Natural Death Centre