Funerals/Question about Ohio law for moving a grave site.

I am writing to ask what the Ohio law is for wanting to have a persons grave moved from one county in Ohio to another county in Ohio. The reason we are asking is so that my sister may be closer to her siblings.

My sister passed away back in 1985 and is currently buried in Madison County, When she died she had 3 young daughters. She was divorced from there father and remarried. Her husband at that time (who is now deceased) buried her in his family plots. (they had no children together)

Since that time her Mother, Father, youngest brother and a sister have all passed and are buried together. There is ample space in this family cemetery to have her buried here. My question is is this something that can be done and what process do we need to follow to do so?

All three of her daughters would like her to be moved. Since her second husband is now deceased can we move her with the permission of her children?

Thanks in advance for your help,

A disinterment permit must come from the Probate Court, but yours is a reasonable request that is likely to be granted.

The casket has likely disintegrated in the meantime, so a new casket would be needed unless you chose to have her cremated and the cremated remains interred in the new location.

Get at least three estimates from local funeral directors. I'm guessing it could cost $7,000 or so.

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.