Funerals/transporting deceased parents

Hello Lisa:
Being realistic, I will be faced with the prospect of transporting my parents from San Luis Obispo county to Los Angeles county sometime in the near future. I have the type of vehicle to do this. I wish to consider driving them myself to their final resting place which has been pre-paid with the cemetery in Altadena. So, could you send me the chapter which covers the proper steps, procedure and permits required for me to do a self/family transport. Also, my father is a 30 year veteran. Are there transportation services available through the VA?

Jim Bagnard

Major, USMCR (ret.)

You can download the CA chapter from the bookstore at for only $5. Now that the book is in print, I am no longer giving away chapters.

Walk thro' the process AHEAD of time! Some county clerks are making it difficult to file the death certificate and get the burial transit permit. If you run into problems there are some funeral directors willing to help families care for their own dead.

I don't believe there are any vet transport services/payments unless the death was active military.

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.