Funerals/Brother cremated remains

Question
I really don't know where to turn, but I'm asking this question for my mother. My brother passed away recently and was cremated.  My sister-in-law filed a county permit in CA to have his ashes split 3 ways with my mom getting 1/3 of his ashes.  My mom called the funeral home to arrange retrieval of his ashes and they said that my sister-in-law already picked them up and said she told them she would take care of it (they assumed delivering them to us).  My brother and sister in law weren't really together and she has always been against us.  She hasn't returned any of my mom's phone calls, so we think she isn't planning on giving them to her.  Does my mom have any legal rights to the 1/3 remains if the permit was filed under my mom's name/location?

Answer
That's a very unique question, as typically a spouse has full control unless there are written wishes of the deceased. But California has funny laws unlike other states. It would certainly seem that if the permit states that 1/3 are to go to your mother, that the state might help enforce that. Alas, I don't remember seeing penalties for not complying with the permit. Your mother should check w. the Cemetery and Funeral Board. http://www.cfb.ca.gov/

Do let me know, as I'd like to find out how the states respond to their own laws. My direct e-mail is lisa@funeralethics.org

Funerals

Lisa Carlson