Funerals/Connecticut disinterment

Question
My grandparents purchased a family burial plot in a small town in central CT (Southington) during their living years. My grandmother passed in 1977 and was buried in the family plot. My grandfather lived for 20+ years following her passing and eventually remarried. When my grandfather passed in 2001, his second wife had him buried at a different cemetery in the same small town. The second wife left town 10 years ago and has not been in contact with the family. We are not sure if she is even alive or not but it is obvious that she has no plans to be buried along side my grandfather (he is buried in an individual plot with a very modest headstone). What are the steps to take if the immediate family would like to have my grandfather's casket moved to a different cemetery 1 mile away so that he can rest in the family plot along side other family members?

Answer
How unfortunate. Write a letter to the Probate Court requesting permission to move your grandfather. It would be helpful if you have some kind of documentation to show she is either deceased or not at her last known address. The Internet might help you find her.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson