Funerals/green burial on private property

My mother wishes to be bury on her privately owned property. I am researching to see what the North Carolina laws are concerning green burials on private property.

I have checked with the county and their only regulations are that the remains be buried 100 feet from a private water source and/or 300 feet from a public water source.

Thank You

You are certainly on the ball! To bypass the funeral industry entirely, download the NC chapter from the Bookstore at for only $5. That will walk you through the process for filing the death certificate and getting the burial transit permit. It's a good idea to draw a map of the land showing where the family burial ground will be (Don't call it a "cemetery" so it's clearly private.) and pay to have it recorded with the deed. Good Luck!

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.