Funerals/notifcation of funeral

Do you have to notify the adult child of the decedent that a burial of remains will take place and what the date and times are?  There are six adult children and one sister has been belligerent and rude during memorial services.  Actual funeral will take place in a week and no one wants her there.  Is there any type of law against notification in the state of Indiana?

To the best of my knowledge, if the date/time/place of the service are not published in a newspaper or appear online, ie: a private service where the above information is by invitation only, it is easier to prevent certain people from attending. If the date/time/place is made public, you may ask the funeral home or church to prevent someone from entering the building and attending the service (Depending on your relationship to the deceased, spouse of the deceased has first right to make this request, then children may have the say so). A publicly announced service is more difficult to preclude someone from attending, but it can be done. Perhaps a Pastor or a close friend of the family could call the individual/s and diplomatically tell them the family would prefer they not attend or put them on notice that inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated and they will be asked to leave.

I hope this helps,

Erin Phelps

Erin Phelps

I can answer any questions about funerals,embalming, cremation, green burial, home funerals, burial on your own land, scattering of cremated remains and any other death related questions you may have.

I have worked in the death care industry since 1977, owning my own funeral home since 1990. I worked as an EMT at a funeral home based ambulance service for 6 years gain much experience there. When I opened my funeral home, my goal was to provide honest, straightforward, significant and affordable services to the families who called upon me for my services. Since Sept. 2008, I have served as a member of the Oregon State Mortuary & Cemetery Board, which regulates the operation of mortuarys and cemeteries in Oregon. I have been a regular attendee and speaker at various funeral related seminars over the years and am a frequent contributor to "Mortuary Management" magazine. I was one of the first funeral directors in Oregon to offer "Green" or "Natural" burial services and to offer assistance to families who wish to take care of their own family members at home. I also have vast experience in the repatriation of a deceased to their country of origin.

Oregon Funeral Directors Association, International Cemetery, Cremation & Funeral Association, Cremation Association of America, Funeral Ethics Association Natural End Funeral Services - Charter Member.

Mortuary Management Funeral Monitor Funeral Service Insider

Attended the University of Oregon Associates of Science Degree - Mt. Hood Community College, Gresham, Oregon

Top 10 Eye Enucleators in Oregon. Nationally Board Certified Funeral Director/Embalmer Honored in "Funeral Monitor", Aug. 2007 for my business practices.

Since 1990, I have served over 10,000 families, requesting the gamute of services ranging from the simplest to the most elaborate. Servicing christian, jewish, muslim, buddhist, hindu and humanists, along with families from every continent in the world.