Funerals/sister objects to cremation over spouse

Question
Hi, My question arises from my father-in-laws wishes to be cremated and his wife is in agreement. However his sisters have demanded that their wishes override his and his spouse and will go to all lengths to prevent it. I feel the spouse has authority but I don't know the law. I apologize if you have already answered this.
Thanks
Greg

Answer
The sisters have no standing. Has the father-in-law already died? If not, he can put his wishes in writing with his wife as the designated agent for body disposition. Even if he has already died, the spouse gets to call the shots. If there are children, the children don't even have to agree.

What are the "all lengths" they are threatening? If they are trying to intimidate a funeral home into not agreeing to the cremation for fear of being sued, tell the funeral home you'll file a complaint with the Funeral Board and the Attorney General's office for unprofessional conduct and emotional distress. The spouse might have to go to Probate Court to have the Court tell the sisters to get lost. One doesn't need a lawyer to go to Probate Court.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson