Funerals/Burial vault

My mother is to be buried in Virginia. The funeral home was saying in addition to the casket we have to buy a burial vault(cement vault). Is that true? My stepfather is buried in the same cemetery in 2007 and we just purchased the casket.

Cemeteries will have their own regulations, you should ask them.  Most often a burial vault is required by the cemetery, it keeps the grass from sinking over the years.  If you already have a burial in place, there may be a single vault that was used, and now you need another one.   Read the paperwork and ask questions.  

With care,  

Kellie Gillespie

I can answer any questions regarding funeral planning, grief, alternatives to burial, embalming, natural burial, products and ideas how to make a funeral service or memorial service more meaningful and personal. I can't answer questions regarding legal issues, financial planning and what happens after we die.

I am a licensed Funeral Director in the state of California with 10 years experience.

B.A. from the University of Colorado AA from the San Francisco College of Mortuary Science, now part of the Sacramento Community College program