You are here:

Funerals/Moving a gravesite from a property burial in Georgia to a cemetery in Alabama?ok


Ok when my mother died about ten years ago me and my sisters were so distraught that we agreed to have her buried on the land she was living on with her boyfriend. Now that we have clear heads and can see that he may of not had the best intentions we want to move her to be burried with her parents and brother. We have the burial site and need to know what we will need to do in order to move her. We have a funeral home in Alabama that is willing to move her. Please help me ASAP.

You need a disinterment permit from the local registrar or county clerk in GA. The Alabama funeral director probably know how to handle that. You should be prepared for needed a new casket after ten years. Metal ones rust out and wooden ones may fall apart.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Lisa Carlson


Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.


I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Past/Present Clients
Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.

©2017 All rights reserved.