Funerals/Plot owner rights

Question
A member of my family who does not get along with me has recently sent me a letter declaring that I am not allowed to place certain items on the grave site of a loved one.  The items in question are flowers or other decorations.  Does the plot owner have the right to make such restrictions or are these items governed by the cemetary owner?

Answer
Hi Michael,

It's unfortunate that you're having this experience.

Generally, in instances like this it's best to contact the cemetery operator and find out what the cemetery ownership recommends. They often have experience in matters like this and may have some suggestions for you.

They can certainly let you know who DOES have rights because that will be in the contract; however, often rights for placement of additional items can be extremely limited - sometimes to headstones only, and/or flowers only on approved days, or in approved (installed) vases. What's permitted (the 'right') will be in the contract. If it's not specifically allowed, the right to do it wasn't part of the contract and it's up to the cemetery operator's discretion.  Cemetery owners are sometimes lax with enforcing these restrictions until an issue with a family comes up, so do be aware of that, as well.

I hope that helps and good luck,

Cynthia

Funerals

Cynthia Beal