Funerals/disinterment and cremation

Question
My husband and his family were never close, but I went along with burying him in the family cemetery in order to get along with them.  However, they left no room for me to be buried next to  him, like he requested, have destroyed everything I put on his grave, etc.  I cannot have double headstone put there.  They have tied up his estate in court in order to bankrupt me, although his family was given their inheritance prior to his death, he left the rest to me.   I wish to have him exhumed and cremated so that we can have our ashes mixed when I am gone, and both of us can finally rest in peace.   
It is a free cemetery, no one has a deed, my question is, do I have to notify his family if I intend to do this. Also, how many places do I have to get permission from to do this?  Who has to be present?

Answer
Linda

May I first offer my condolences at the death of your husband, the death of a spouse is traumatic enough without the added grief, it seems, that his family is burdening you with.

My best advice would be to check with the cemetery to verify your understanding that there is no deed to the plot or that anyone other than yourself can control the use of the grave. If someone else has the primary right to direct the use of the grave, you would need their permission to set a headstone on the grave or to have your Husbands body disinterred. Next you would need to check with a funeral home and/or the agency that regulates cemeteries in Tennessee to get the regulations regarding disinterment of a body and what forms must be procured.

As his wife, it is generally accepted in most states,that you have primary right to control the disposition and place of interment of his body.

I hope this helps,

Erin Phelps  

Funerals

Erin Phelps