Funerals/Can a non-family member place a marker on grave site?

Question
My brother died a couple of years ago and was cremated and buried on my parents grave site.  My sister and I, the only remaining direct family members, were not yet ready to place a marker on my brother's grave site. However, the wife of my mother's deceased cousin arranged to have placed a rather large stone on the grave.
My sister and I would like for this large stone to be removed and a smaller, more simple stone be placed there instead. Do we have the right to have the stone removed and a new one placed? Must the stone be returned to purchasers or may it be disposed of in any manner that we can arrange?

Answer
Hi Phyllis,

Cemeteries are very familiar with working out desires like this, as it's common for family members to both change, and change their minds.

I answered a similar question about who controls grave recently here:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Funerals-1739/2013/10/plot-owner-rights.htm

and here:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Funerals-1739/2013/9/grave-plot.htm

The answers to both those questions should be useful in your case, as well.

Additionally:

Cemeteries sell a couple of kinds of rights; one is the right to inter the casket and the body, and the other is the right to place a memorial. In your specific case, the cemetery owner should be able to identify who currently owns the stone, and who currently owns the right of monument stone.

You need to work with the cemetery directly on this, as any laws governing property and contracts - the laws that underpin the rights we're talking about - are State-based. If the cemetery doesn't give you an answer you agree with, you may then consider verifying their statements with the State Cemetery Board that oversees cemeteries in your State.

Speaking with the cemetery to understand how they interpret the contract is first. When you talk to the cemetery operator, be sure to ask for suggestions on how you can best handle the existing stone.

One possibility, if it's agreed that it's to be moved (and it's large) could be to offer it to the cemetery to relocate in another section and dedicate it as a cenotaph for some local group- - perhaps a group your brother had an affinity with, and perhaps for persons who've been cremated but don't have the advantage of a place of remembrance in a cemetery (not all are able to afford it). With most large stones it's possible to remove the first inscription by going deeper into the stone, and adding a new inscription - it could include your family name and be recognized as an additional memorial in your brother's honor.

This is one way to address a situation like this; I'm sure there are more. The point is to keep family tensions low, and perhaps even create a win/win for everyone.

Hope this helps,

Cynthia

Funerals

Cynthia Beal