Funerals/transporting deceased between states

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
My mother currently lives in Tulsa, Oklahoma but has a burial plot with my dad in Pennsylvania. She wants to buried with him, She wants to have her funeral services in Ellwood City, PA. I have read a lot of your answers about transporting a deceased person between states. If I understand your answers, it is best to contact the funeral home she wants to use and have them make the arrangements to have her body picked up.

She wants me to get as much information as I can prior to her death to make sure we can have an idea of the cost for her funeral. The burial including the vault is already paid. She has been very concerned since a friend of the family had to transport his mother to Puerto Rico and it cost $35,000 for her funeral.

Thanks for your help.
Donna

ANSWER: Yes, use the PA funeral home to make arrangements. Let them know that you know about shipping services such as Inman that will pick up and embalm the body and drive it to the airport for about $1,000. If you call an OK funeral home, it's likely to cost twice as much.

The least expensive burial will be an "Immediate Burial" with a graveside service. But you can certainly ask about visitation or viewing costs if more services are wanted.

QUESTION: Who would make the arrangement with the airline flying her back to Pennsylvania?

Answer
The PA funeral director.

You might want to get your mother to sign up with the FCA of Western PA. They have negotiated a discount with certain cooperating funeral homes-- http://www.funerals.org/affiliates/westernpa/index.htm

**************
What's necessary is doing your homework as you are doing and talking opening with family members. We don't recommend prepaying unless setting aside assets for Medicaid eligibility.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson