can you be buried in a pine casket without embalming and avault in your family cemetery which is located on top of a mountain in buncombe county n.c.I would like to preplan my own funeral out (for when the time comes)and I don't want funeralhome sevices or a fancy casket,embalming or anything I don't necessarily have to have.the cheaper the better because I don't have a lot of money and neither does my family.what are the requirements in buncombe county n.c. thank you

You do not need to use a funeral director or be embalmed in NC. You can download the NC chapter from the Bookstore at for only $5. That will walk you through how to file the death certificate, etc.

Is there already a family cemetery on your property? If so, is it recorded with the deed? If not, or if you are starting one, draw a map of the land showing where the family burial ground is and pay to have it recorded with the deed. A good practice is 150 ft. from a water supply and 25 feet from a boundary line or power line.

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.