Funerals/grave removal

Me and my husband own land that has our private graveyard on husbands mother was buried there.she was buried the old fashioned way.we built her casket out of oak!there was no vault..she had been there for over ten years.the grave had already given in and been filled back up.this woman has seven children.and before I go any farther most of them were not aware of what was happening to there mothers grave.someone decided to move this beautiful woman's grave..again this is mine and my husbands land in which we live on even one asked my husband if he had a problem with the moving of his mothers grave or if anyone could come across our land and remove her grave.and the way she was removed was horrible!!there wasn't anyone there to monitor anything going daughters home was in front of graveyard and she could see everything .she had to remove her children away from windows.this is just a little of the story.but is it legal to move a grave like this? without her children's consent? father had been remarried for several years.the new wife stood there and watched the grave dug up!! this was so wrong!! thank you in advance for your advice..

There had to be a disinterment permit issued by the local registrar to a funeral director before the body could be moved. Who ordered the disinterment? It definitely sounds like someone has operated outside the law, especially to trespass on your land. Tell me more.

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.