Funerals/transport of deceased brother

We live in Lakeland Florida and wish to bury my brother on our property in Mayo Florida about 187 miles away how do we transport him what permits are required or who do we contact to move him he is in a hospice house now and the end is near we've contacted Mayo and have all that info just needs to get there

Go to and download the Florida chapter from the Bookstore for only $5. That will walk you through the process for filing the death certificate and getting the burial transit permit. Be SURE to walk thro' the process prior to the death if you possibly can. Some registrars do not know you have that right, and you may have to put them in touch with the state office to straighten them out. Hospice may not realize you have that right, too. My phone number is 802-482-6021. My direct e-mail which I check regularly when I'm home is

There is also a state-specific Funeral Consumer Rights pamphlet at

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.