Funerals/Cemetery Plots I want to Sell

My parents passed away leaving me in charge of virtually everything in their will.  Years ago, they gave my stepmother's son & wife 2 plots.  The son & wife ceased talking to my parents (my father & stepmother) for over 15 years.  During that time, my parents asked for the plots back, they refused.  They wouldn't be using the plots, since they are being buried in Florida and this is in NY.  I sent them notarized forms to sign so I can have them all in my name.  They never sent them back and now my stepbrother's wife passed away.  She's buried in Fla.  He has since changed his phone number to 'unlisted' - and sending him anything will just go ignored.
The cemetery has informed me that I cannot even sell my own plot, since we 3 owned this together.  I don't wish to be buried there but my hands are tied.
I have both wills, from my father & stepmother stating I am the only beneficiary of their possessions.
How can I get the cemetery to release these in my name?  This is ludicrous.

My best advise to you would be to look at the wills (Maybe even have an attorney at them also) and see if there is any mention of the grave plots in the wills and/or if their leaving all their possessions to you would include the graves.

I hope this helps,

Erin Phelps

Erin Phelps

I can answer any questions about funerals,embalming, cremation, green burial, home funerals, burial on your own land, scattering of cremated remains and any other death related questions you may have.

I have worked in the death care industry since 1977, owning my own funeral home since 1990. I worked as an EMT at a funeral home based ambulance service for 6 years gain much experience there. When I opened my funeral home, my goal was to provide honest, straightforward, significant and affordable services to the families who called upon me for my services. Since Sept. 2008, I have served as a member of the Oregon State Mortuary & Cemetery Board, which regulates the operation of mortuarys and cemeteries in Oregon. I have been a regular attendee and speaker at various funeral related seminars over the years and am a frequent contributor to "Mortuary Management" magazine. I was one of the first funeral directors in Oregon to offer "Green" or "Natural" burial services and to offer assistance to families who wish to take care of their own family members at home. I also have vast experience in the repatriation of a deceased to their country of origin.

Oregon Funeral Directors Association, International Cemetery, Cremation & Funeral Association, Cremation Association of America, Funeral Ethics Association Natural End Funeral Services - Charter Member.

Mortuary Management Funeral Monitor Funeral Service Insider

Attended the University of Oregon Associates of Science Degree - Mt. Hood Community College, Gresham, Oregon

Top 10 Eye Enucleators in Oregon. Nationally Board Certified Funeral Director/Embalmer Honored in "Funeral Monitor", Aug. 2007 for my business practices.

Since 1990, I have served over 10,000 families, requesting the gamute of services ranging from the simplest to the most elaborate. Servicing christian, jewish, muslim, buddhist, hindu and humanists, along with families from every continent in the world.