my brother in law passed over a month ago we already had viewing, he is being creamated. the funeral home is saying they are waiting on the health dept., we don't understand why?

Sorry for the delay, I had some technical difficulties and thought I had sent the response.

Please accept my condolences.  Cremation does require more paperwork and it is important that all paperwork be complete before cremation can take place.  
In my experience, the health department is responsible to approving the death certificate and providing disposition permit.  The funeral home should be working closely with the health department, if there is an investigation on the death this may cause a delay.  I suggest you talk to the funeral home and ask them for specifics on why there is a delay.

With care,  

Kellie Gillespie

I can answer any questions regarding funeral planning, grief, alternatives to burial, embalming, natural burial, products and ideas how to make a funeral service or memorial service more meaningful and personal. I can't answer questions regarding legal issues, financial planning and what happens after we die.

I am a licensed Funeral Director in the state of California with 10 years experience.

B.A. from the University of Colorado AA from the San Francisco College of Mortuary Science, now part of the Sacramento Community College program