Funerals/Responsibility of funeral expenses

Question
Dear Lisa,

Who is responsible for burial expenses in Missouri when the deceased is a ward of the state?  My mother has been under state guardianship because of mental illness for several years.  She passed last night and my siblings and I are being told that her family must pay for the funeral.....is this correct information?

Thank you so much for your help.

Answer
I don't know how the state could enforce that. A couple of states do have laws with such a requirement, but I don't remember finding that in Missouri.

That said, a simple solution might be to donate her body for medical research. There would be no cost to you. There is a list of nonacademic programs here--http://finalrights.org/?page_id=198 Even those out of state will pay to fly the body there. The in-state medical schools require that you pay for transportation. Some require prior enrollment. Not so with the first list I just gave you.

If body donation isn't acceptable, there may be county funds to help but they'll be minimal if at all.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson