Funerals/burial on private property

We own a piece of property with a group of people in Surry County, NC and are discussing burial on the land. Is it a legal requirement that all owners of this property give permission for any burial on this property?

Hello Jose-

It can be a little tricky doing burial on private property, but it is also a very special tribute.  Nevertheless, it can be done!  
From a legal perspective, I can't advise.  I do not know the laws for North Carolina cemeteries.

However, I strongly recommend that you do get permission from all the owners of the land.  A burial is forever and you want to make sure you have the support and understanding from all owners.  Think about what your intentions are, is it going to a single burial or mulitple burials?  Headstones?  Natural burial, caskets and vaults?   You may have to consider the neighboring property owners too.  It's a sensitive subject so I suggest covering all bases.  

Here are some resources that may provide more information that you seek.

With care,  

Kellie Gillespie

I can answer any questions regarding funeral planning, grief, alternatives to burial, embalming, natural burial, products and ideas how to make a funeral service or memorial service more meaningful and personal. I can't answer questions regarding legal issues, financial planning and what happens after we die.

I am a licensed Funeral Director in the state of California with 10 years experience.

B.A. from the University of Colorado AA from the San Francisco College of Mortuary Science, now part of the Sacramento Community College program