Funerals/death certificates and prepaid expenses

Question
My father past away 5 1/2 weeks ago at the VA in MO. and we have not received the death certificates yet - how long should we wait before filing a complaint? On a prepaid funeral, is it normal to see upwards of 30% in extra charges for a simple service?

Answer
What does the funeral home say about the delay for the death certificate. Ten days should be all it takes to get a certified copy. Tell them that you are going to file the complaint if you don't have it within a week. You can find a complaint form for the Funeral Board here --
http://www.pr.mo.gov/embalmers.asp

What were the extra charges for on the prepaid funeral? Opening and closing the grave, for example, is not typically prepaid. Did the funeral contract say it was a guaranteed price contract or a NON-guaranteed contract?

*****

I am now concerned that with a 30% increase you may have a MUCH larger complaint to file. For example, they can't simply charge you more without giving you a price list and letting you make changes if you wish. My phone number is 802-482-6021.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson