Funerals/International transportation of my Dad's cremains

Question
Hello Lisa,

I have couple questions regarding how to bring my Dad's ashes back to U.S.  I am a U.S. citizen, but my parents live in Hong Kong and they are not U.S. citizen.  My Dad just past away couple months ago in Hong Kong.  I am planning to have his ashes brought back to U.S. (Illinois) and bury here.

My questions are:

1. What kind of legal documentation or approval do I need from the government in order to transport my Dad's ashes back from another country? And where can I get it?

2. Can my mom bring my Dad's ashes to U.S. for me? Or it has to be myself to bring it back?

3. Can it be a carry-on item to the airplane and is there any special kind of urn needs to be used?

Thank you for you help in advance!

Eddy

Answer
Yes, they may be brought in a carry-on by you or your mom. Do NOT use a metal urn as it must be scannable. If in a ceramic urn, go to the airport first to make sure it's scannable as some glazes have metal in them. A wood or cardboard box would go through easily.

I don't believe any paperwork is required but a death certificate might be helpful, especially at the cemetery here.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson