Funerals/Moving a loved one from Ill. to Pa.

My brother is buried in Illinois. His wife has remarried and moved to another state and his two sons live in another state.
My Mom (80 years old) would like to move him to Pa. to be buried next to our Dad. There are no other family members in Illinois.
I have been in touch with the cemetery and funeral home that conducted his funeral in 2001.
My question is can we transport him in a u-hall from Ill. to Pa. ourselves or do regulations say an authorized vehicle must do this.
We were told that we could do this by someone. The cemetery says no we can not.
We will not know the condition of the vault or casket until the grave is opened, we know we may need to purchase a new one. The cemetery said they would take care of any permits needed for transport.    -thank you

To the best of my knowledge, if you have the proper permits from the State of Ill. you should be able to transport your Brother to PA. You may also need to get a signed authorization for the disinterment from his sons.   If he is in a sealed vault and the cemetery can disinter him without damaging the vault, he could be transported without buying a new vault. Also it may easier transport and offload him on a flatbed truck or a flatbed trailer.

I hope this helps,

Erin Phelps

Erin Phelps

I can answer any questions about funerals,embalming, cremation, green burial, home funerals, burial on your own land, scattering of cremated remains and any other death related questions you may have.

I have worked in the death care industry since 1977, owning my own funeral home since 1990. I worked as an EMT at a funeral home based ambulance service for 6 years gain much experience there. When I opened my funeral home, my goal was to provide honest, straightforward, significant and affordable services to the families who called upon me for my services. Since Sept. 2008, I have served as a member of the Oregon State Mortuary & Cemetery Board, which regulates the operation of mortuarys and cemeteries in Oregon. I have been a regular attendee and speaker at various funeral related seminars over the years and am a frequent contributor to "Mortuary Management" magazine. I was one of the first funeral directors in Oregon to offer "Green" or "Natural" burial services and to offer assistance to families who wish to take care of their own family members at home. I also have vast experience in the repatriation of a deceased to their country of origin.

Oregon Funeral Directors Association, International Cemetery, Cremation & Funeral Association, Cremation Association of America, Funeral Ethics Association Natural End Funeral Services - Charter Member.

Mortuary Management Funeral Monitor Funeral Service Insider

Attended the University of Oregon Associates of Science Degree - Mt. Hood Community College, Gresham, Oregon

Top 10 Eye Enucleators in Oregon. Nationally Board Certified Funeral Director/Embalmer Honored in "Funeral Monitor", Aug. 2007 for my business practices.

Since 1990, I have served over 10,000 families, requesting the gamute of services ranging from the simplest to the most elaborate. Servicing christian, jewish, muslim, buddhist, hindu and humanists, along with families from every continent in the world.