Funerals/Private burial

I had an inquirey about the requirements of a single burial on the pending decedent's family farm in Kentucky. The pending decedent and family have requested no embalming, just a private family service and direct burial on the farm. We are looking at days at best.

Thanks for you expected reply.

That should be permissible. To bypass the funeral industry entirely, go to and download the KY chapter from the Bookstore for only $5. It will walk you through the process and how to file the death certificate.

As for the family burial ground, a good practice is 150 ft. from a water supply and 25 ft. from a power line or boundary. You can draw a map of the land showing where it will be and pay to have it recorded with the deed. That's a polite notification to future land-owners.

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.