Funerals/Private land burials

Question
My family wants to invest in some land to create a family burial grounds. We agreed that we would like it to be a place where we could place cremated remains and also a place where we could put a common head stone or marker for the names. After some research we see that there are many laws and so it is confusing . How do we find out what counties will allow us to purchase land for a family resting place?

Answer
There are no laws that specifically permit burial on your own land in VA, although family graveyards are mentioned in several statutes. A good practice is 150 feet from a water supply and 25 feet from a power line with two or three feet of earth on top. Talk to the local zoning folks in whatever town you would like to be. You could then draw a map of the land showing where the family cemetery will be and have it recorded with the deed. Unfortunately, family graveyards
“abandoned” after 25 years may be moved to a new location with the permission of the circuit court if there is no objection.

To bypass the funeral industry entirely, you can download the VA chapter from the Bookstore at www.funerals.org for only $5. That will walk you through the process. There is a free Funeral Consumer Rights pamphlet for VA at www.funeralethics.org

Funerals

Lisa Carlson