Funerals/transport family remains across state lines

Question
i read your post regarding transporting a family member's remains from TX to IL.  along the same premise, i have a few questions.  in this case, the family member is being transported from SC to VA for 3 months of storage in preparation for a military burial at arlington.  the body has already been embalmed and is being stored in a casket in SC.  the funeral service has been completed.  to save money, a family member is willing to drive a personal cargo van from SC to VA.  what is the process for a family member to transport the body in the casket to the storage location in VA?

Answer
For transport, all that is needed is the Burial-transit Permit which the funeral director can supply. A copy of the death certificate may be helpful at some point. Make sure that Arlington has all the necessary paperwork, too, like the DD214 discharge papers and so forth.  

Funerals

Lisa Carlson