Funerals/Using casket from Costco for Alabama burial

Question
My brother died this morning. No insurance. I would like to order a casket from Costco. However, they do not ship to Alabama. Will the funeral home allow the family to use a casket from Costco if we have the casket delivered to another state, pick up the casket and deliver to the funeral home. Or does Alabama laws not allow this. Thanks. Any guidance will help.

Answer
State law wouldn't stop you from doing that. But you might be honest with the funeral director about finances and talk about options. Very often the funeral director can get out a catalog with less expensive ones than in the showroom and order for next-day delivery. Then you won't have a disappointed (or angry) FD on your hands. I'm sorry for your loss.

You can also build your own casket for probably under $200. Typical measurements are two feet wide, one foot deep, and as long as you need it. Then line it with pillows and a blanket or material of your choice.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson