Funerals/cremains

Question
My sisters ex partner has taken half of her ashes without mentioning it to anyone. He got them from the crematorium. I have bought a plot to bury them as my other sisters wanted somewhere to go and remember her. We have since found out he plans to scatter them somewhere. He has had them for 2 months. Do I have any legal rights to get them back? He has refused to return them to us. I am based in the UK

Answer
Jane

To the best of my knowledge (Under the laws in the U.S.), the nearest of kin (married spouse, children over 18, parents and siblings in this order) have primary right to authorize a body to be cremated and to claim the cremated remains. Although a person during their lifetime may authorize that their body be cremated and their cremated remains to be released to a certain person or persons. Unless he was authorized to receive a portion of her cremated remains by instructions left by your sister or by her legal next of kin, he should not have received them. Again this opinion is based on the existing laws in the U.S.

My best advice would be to consult an attorney on this matter.

I hope this helped,

Erin Phelps

Funerals

Erin Phelps