Request for how to start gathering information about costs of direct cremation for relative who has made wishes known for cremation in writing to be carried out by health care proxy.  Cost comparison of reputable crematories in nearby area.

Thank you.

My best advice in comparing prices for cremation, would be to find out if there is a Funeral Consumers Alliance group in your area. You search for a member group at

Generally you must join the group to receive the special pricing from the cooperating funeral homes. You may also search on the internet, but be sure that the price they are quoting you includes all the necessary services to obtain the death certificate and permits, transfer from the place of death, all holding and/or refrigeration fees, the minimum container for the body to be cremated in, the cremation process (Make they tell you how long it will be for the return of the cremated remains), a minimum container for the cremated remains, any permit fees or tax and the cost of each certified copy of the death certificate.  Also a firm that is family owned, with their own refrigerated holding facility and crematorium is the best to deal with. You can also check on a firm reliability by visiting the local BBB website and on (If your a member).

I hope this helps,

Erin Phelps

Erin Phelps

I can answer any questions about funerals,embalming, cremation, green burial, home funerals, burial on your own land, scattering of cremated remains and any other death related questions you may have.

I have worked in the death care industry since 1977, owning my own funeral home since 1990. I worked as an EMT at a funeral home based ambulance service for 6 years gain much experience there. When I opened my funeral home, my goal was to provide honest, straightforward, significant and affordable services to the families who called upon me for my services. Since Sept. 2008, I have served as a member of the Oregon State Mortuary & Cemetery Board, which regulates the operation of mortuarys and cemeteries in Oregon. I have been a regular attendee and speaker at various funeral related seminars over the years and am a frequent contributor to "Mortuary Management" magazine. I was one of the first funeral directors in Oregon to offer "Green" or "Natural" burial services and to offer assistance to families who wish to take care of their own family members at home. I also have vast experience in the repatriation of a deceased to their country of origin.

Oregon Funeral Directors Association, International Cemetery, Cremation & Funeral Association, Cremation Association of America, Funeral Ethics Association Natural End Funeral Services - Charter Member.

Mortuary Management Funeral Monitor Funeral Service Insider

Attended the University of Oregon Associates of Science Degree - Mt. Hood Community College, Gresham, Oregon

Top 10 Eye Enucleators in Oregon. Nationally Board Certified Funeral Director/Embalmer Honored in "Funeral Monitor", Aug. 2007 for my business practices.

Since 1990, I have served over 10,000 families, requesting the gamute of services ranging from the simplest to the most elaborate. Servicing christian, jewish, muslim, buddhist, hindu and humanists, along with families from every continent in the world.