Funerals/Burial of Ashes in Illinois

My brother passed away on 4/24/2013 and he was cremated at Acremation, Inc in Houston.  His ashes were sent to me in Mansfield, TX and we plan to have a memorial service in Chicago, Illinois.  His children has requested that his ashes be buried or at least placed in Illinios at Washington Memorial Cementary in Homewood, Il (possible in a niche) where my sister and mother has been buried.  I am struggling with getting the documentation that Washington Memorial states they require in order to bury the ashes.  Acremation added Washington Memory Gardens to the buria- transit permit but now Washington wants them to put the city and state on the document. Is that required?  Couldn't Washington complete a burial permit once they get the remains?

A burial transit permit is not required for cremated remains except in California, unless this is something new in Illinois. The cremation process itself is considered "final disposition" in almost all states, with the crematory filing the burial transit permit. I'm not sure why they're giving you such a hard time. If you have a copy of the permit, then you could fill it in.

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.