Funerals/Burial of Ashes in Illinois

Question
My brother passed away on 4/24/2013 and he was cremated at Acremation, Inc in Houston.  His ashes were sent to me in Mansfield, TX and we plan to have a memorial service in Chicago, Illinois.  His children has requested that his ashes be buried or at least placed in Illinios at Washington Memorial Cementary in Homewood, Il (possible in a niche) where my sister and mother has been buried.  I am struggling with getting the documentation that Washington Memorial states they require in order to bury the ashes.  Acremation added Washington Memory Gardens to the buria- transit permit but now Washington wants them to put the city and state on the document. Is that required?  Couldn't Washington complete a burial permit once they get the remains?

Ruby

Answer
A burial transit permit is not required for cremated remains except in California, unless this is something new in Illinois. The cremation process itself is considered "final disposition" in almost all states, with the crematory filing the burial transit permit. I'm not sure why they're giving you such a hard time. If you have a copy of the permit, then you could fill it in.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson