Funerals/Cremated remains

Question
We have my Aunts cremated remains in a metal box that's was given to us from the crematory. We also have a burial plot at an old church cemetery. My question is: can we legaly bury the remains in this plot without having the expense of using a funeral home?

Answer
Hi there,

You should contact the cemetery sexton or management directly to find out if they require a funeral director to facilitate the burial or not. Some cemeteries do, but many do not - especially when the burial involves cremated remains, and the cremation - considered the FINAL disposition - has already taken place.

The cemetery's manager will have everything you need to know, including whether or not using the plot requires that you pay additional fees for opening and closing the grave, whether they require a marker of some kind, whether or not they require a funeral director to be present for a graveside service (when you place the cremated remains), whether they require a permanent urn vault, or if you can bury the remains in a biodegradable urn, and anything else you might need to know.

My answer assumes that the cemetery is an active one, that it's still performing interments, and that there's a manager to contact.

If there isn't active management or you can't find it, get in touch with your State's Cemetery Board. This is the group that licenses active cemeteries; sometimes it's the same as the funeral director board, and sometimes it's different. Make sure you're talking to the State cemetery board (this will be a government agency, NOT a cemetery trade association) and then find out who to talk to with regard to the specific cemetery.

If this turns out to NOT be an active cemetery and you can't find the management/owner, feel free to request a follow-up to this question and we'll see about the next step.

best,

Cynthia  

Funerals

Cynthia Beal