where is the best place to get started in Oregon for a family cemetery on are land.

You may be buried on your own land with the
permission of the local planning commission or
governing body. A burial should be 150 feet
from a water supply and 25 feet from a power
line with two or three feet of earth on top. It is a
good practice to draw a map of the land showing
where the family cemetery is and have it
recorded with the deed, as the burial must be
disclosed to any new buyer.

For information to bypass the funeral industry entirely, you can download the Oregon chapter
from the Bookstore at for only $5.

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.